Greeting Text

Following twenty years of farmer's markets selling locally grown vegetables, native fruits, and local honey Linda created Marianne's Kitchen in Shoreview, MN, an oasis of good food, conversation and laughter in a suburban food desert. Operating from 2011-2017 the cafe offered home made soups, fresh bread baked daily, great sandwiches and treats and a complete line of gluten-free soups, pickled products, jams, jellies, salsas and locally sourced soups, honey and grains.

The Marianne's Kitchen of sharing, conversation, and learning continues with ongoing commentary, food reviews and food finds as we grow, cook and eat our food and sample local restaurants.

Saturday, March 31, 2018

If it isn't one thing it's another..

After three days of being out of my head with a bad cold, the virus in my head decided to extend my pain.  We work really hard to find new and interesting  places to eat, drink coffee and ponder our next food business.  Today I suggested a drive to Hudson, WI.   

Our destination was the Wired Robin.  A recent ownership change had produced good reviews.  The Bird's Nest, an egg and goat cheese offering sounded fine for a Saturday lunch.  Downtown Hudson is very popular and was devoid of parking.  As Linda negotiated into a snow-filled spot I jumped out of the car and in a flash a Volvo pulled into our destination.  Had I not been under the weather this would have prompted a quick reaction and a direct man-to-man conversation (one way).  My head was cloudy and I stood there stupid-like.

We ended up parking a block or two away and walked into the brisk northwest wind.  Entering the Wired Robin it had that old building, sort of funky coffee shop feel.  That would have been fine but there are only four or five tables and each one was occupied with one person nursing their coffee and staring into their computer.  Other internet reviews have mentioned that same problem.  Turning to my chaffeur I offered "I'm out of here."

Now we were hungry and headed into the next food stop immediately across the street to the north.  The Agave Kitchen is branded as Tex Mex.  Our waitron
was very good but it's standard bar food.  Linda had the pulled pork.  The seasoned pork was fine, but like most barbecue outlets they serve it up on the cheapest white-bread bun on the planet.  It was accompanied by coleslaw which was primarily dressing, bad tortilla chips and salsa on a par with stewed tomatoes out of a can.

I had the BLT salad which was featured on their
'winter specials' menu.  The flip side was the 'March specials' which featured a Mexican Cobb Salad; that may have been better.  Beyond being big the $9 BLT salad was unremarkable, overdressed and somewhat salty with far more bacon than one should eat in a day. We like to give a place a couple of visits...perhaps the April Specials will up the ante.

Leaving Hudson we headed up WI 35 to enjoy the rolling hills and farmland.  As we neared Osceola I was reminded of another WI destination that I wish we'd not visited.  The Watershed Cafe is cute and beautifully situated over a deep ravine.  During that visit we ordered at the counter and I took the employee's recommendation of the Reuben sandwich.  I did not finish it.  Actually I stopped eating it after three or four bites.  Had we been sitting outside on the deck mine would have gone into the ravine...actually 'down in the holler' as they say.

My mother used to say "If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all."  I've said far too much...it was not nice but it was true.  I'll wrap this review up with "the drive through the rolling farmland of Wisconsin was very nice." 

No comments:

Post a Comment