Greeting Text

Following twenty years of farmer's markets selling locally grown vegetables, native fruits, and local honey Linda created Marianne's Kitchen in Shoreview, MN, an oasis of good food, conversation and laughter in a suburban food desert. Operating from 2011-2017 the cafe offered home made soups, fresh bread baked daily, great sandwiches and treats and a complete line of gluten-free soups, pickled products, jams, jellies, salsas and locally sourced soups, honey and grains.

The Marianne's Kitchen of sharing, conversation, and learning continues with ongoing commentary, food reviews and food finds as we grow, cook and eat our food and sample local restaurants.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Steams & Treats #2 ...WOW!!

Linda has been in pursuit of great food finds in one of the 'world cities.'  No doubt nary a drive-thru window, microwaved 'entre' or 'fast food' establishment experienced her visit.  Certainly details will appear in the next couple of days.

After two days of toiling away on a rather ofscure IT challenge I needed a break.  As I walked into Steams & Treats, the owner,  Angie, greeted me.  "Aren't you Linda's husband?  Tell her to come in!"  During our first visit we more or less ordered one of everything.  Not everyone does that.

Today I ordered the potsticker combo of three potstickers and a choice of salad.  From visit #1 I knew
the potstickers were large with wonderful pork filling and the dough was very nice.  This is a potsticker that sets a real standard, not the crusty (or disintigrating) version found in the steam tables of oh so many buffets.

Becca's Sweet Ginger Salad was the choice in Visit #1 and it was tempting to go for a repeat but consideration had to be given to the other two options. Ida's Garden Salad would have been fine but Angie's Cold Noodle Salad spoke out..."pick me pick me pick me!"  The wonderful egg noodles, head lettuce, spinach, pickled carrot and daikon, cilantro, scallion onion, shiitake mushroom and sesame really made the day.  Angie asked me how I liked it and said she makes this for her friends who come to visit.  In the theme of "pick me, pick me, picke" I responded "this is excellent this is excellent this is excellent."

A few minutes later a woman walked in for a donut kick and asked me if I'd have the food.  Without a moment's hesitation I stood and did my Vanna White best pointing out my favorites on the menu on the wall.  The customer looked at my plate and said "that is beautiful that is beautiful that is beautiful."

Not that I needed it but the apple fritters also called out to me.  Over the years I've been disappointed in
a lot of fritters but this was outstanding.  My plan was to carry it home in a bag and eat it later but really...if 'later' never happens this fritter is what you missed, that would be bad.  Nicely done and full of apples and huge.

Visit #3 might be tomorrow for lunch (or dinner...open until 7:00 PM).

1 comment: